Dr. Martin Reiss
Dr. Reiss is a postdoctoral researcher at the Space Research Institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Graz, Austria. His research focuses on ambient solar wind modeling and space weather forecasting. He currently studies interdisciplinary data science methods in combination with multi-spacecraft observations to advance the capabilities of coronal and solar wind models.
since 2020 Postdoctoral Researcher, Space Research Institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz.
2018-2020 Schrödinger Fellowship, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, USA.
2014 - 2017 Ph.D. in Natural Sciences (with distinction), University of Graz, Austria.
2012 - 2014 M.Sc. in Theoretical and Computational Physics (with distinction), University of Graz, Austria.
since 2019 Team lead of the Coronal Hole Boundary Working Team in the COSPAR ISWAT initiative.
since 2019 Team lead of the Ambient Solar Wind Validation Team in the COSPAR ISWAT initiative.
since 2019 Co-Moderator of the COSPAR ISWAT cluster Ambient Solar Magnetic Field, Heating and Spectral Irradiance.
since 2016 Reviewer for the journals: AGU Space Weather, Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate, and PLOS One.
Ten Selected Publications
- Reiss, M. A. et al. Forecasting the Ambient Solar Wind with Numerical Models. II. An Adaptive Prediction System for Specifying Solar Wind Speed near the Sun. The Astrophysical Journal 891, 165 (2020).
- Reiss, M. A. et al. Forecasting the Ambient Solar Wind with Numerical Models. I. On the Implementation of an Operational Framework. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series 240, 35 (2019).
- Möstl, C. et al. Strong coronal channelling and interplanetary evolution of a solar storm up to Earth and Mars. Nature Communications 6, (2015).]
- Reiss, M. A. et al. Verification of high-speed solar wind stream forecasts using operational solar wind models. Space Weather 14, 2016SW001390 (2016).
- Delouille, V. et al. Chapter 15 - Coronal Holes Detection Using Supervised Classification. in Machine Learning Techniques for Space Weather (eds. Camporeale, E., Wing, S. & Johnson, J. R.) 365–395 (Elsevier, 2018).
- Reiss, M. A. et al. Improvements on coronal hole detection in SDO/AIA images using supervised classification. J. Space Weather Space Clim. 5, A23 (2015).
- Temmer, M., Reiss, M. A., Nikolic, L., Hofmeister, S. J. & Veronig, A. M. Preconditioning of Interplanetary Space Due to Transient CME Disturbances. ApJ 835, 141 (2017).
- Bailey, R. L., Möstl, C., Reiss, M.A. et al. Prediction of Dst During Solar Minimum Using In Situ Measurements at L5. Space Weather 18, (2020).
- Amerstorfer, T., Hinterreiter, J., Reiss, M.A. et al. CME arrival prediction using ensemble modeling based on heliospheric imaging observations. Space Weather (2020).
- Owens, M. et al. A Computationally Efficient, Time-Dependent Model of the Solar Wind for Use as a Surrogate to Three-Dimensional Numerical Magnetohydrodynamic Simulations. Solar Physics 295, (2020).